Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Sunshine

It´s a nice bright day, blue sky but a little chilly. A little bit of sunshine makes all the difference.

Managed to sow some seeds, chives, okra, cilantro, toms and take some mint cuttings.

We need to get some more potting compost and lemon tree feed before we can proceed with too much more, but it feels good to have a least started.

A couple of months ago we had an unexpected visitor who decided to stay, she just walked into the courtyard and made her presence known, settled herself in and made herself at home. She was only about 5 months old and quite tiny. She has just finished her first calling, our boys (who have all been fixed) were quite upset they couldn´t help her. So today Tiggywinkle (hubby named her)  has gone to the vets, poor little thing, never been in a car before and got car sick so disgraced herself. We lost our Felix a few weeks ago, he was only 3, so we are still on 9 furries.

I´m sure there must be invisible signs along the road, pointing the way to the mad cat people, lol

A few months ago I found a lovely fun pattern for a boys jacket with dinosaur spines running along the hood and back, it was quite fitting for Theo who has a little theme running in his bedroom of dinosaurs and of course the ones I had already made him. It was a little large for him at the time and Rebecca used it as a coat jacket over other tops. It suits him and looks super cute.




I´m knitting the same pattern again at the moment, only this one will have a collar instead of a hood. Then I had a request for another jumper, so that´s on the go too.

Our next door neighbour returned to Berlin the other day, but insisted we help ourselves to the lemons from his tree.


The aroma of freshly picked lemons was quite heady, but they are sweet with good skins ideal for grating. I use quite a lot of lemons and zest, I made up garlic, lemon juice, honey and olive oil for roasting veggies including brussels sprouts, then use the zest for a little zing.

Yesterday I tried a new recipe, Mung bean curry, combining the spices from scratch rather than paste. I used it as a side dish, it was rather yummy. Usually I just sprout the mung beans, so this was a great idea for something different. No presoaking or boiling and they cooked quite quickly. Ideal for vegetarians too.

I thought I had better clarify my last post, reading it back it implied we had taken off on a recent jolly, not that the trip was 5 years old now. In fact we haven´t been anywhere apart from the odd supermarket trip and to collect our mail from the correos.

take care 

xcx



7 comments:

  1. I was sorry to hear about Felix, but he had a happy time with you. It sounds as if Tiggywinkle will also have found a good home too. We have never gone to choose a cat - they have always come to us! Our vet said that the cats must talk to each other about a good home - like they do with you!
    I love that dinosaur jacket - perfect for a dinosaur loving little boy!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise, all our furries have just turned up, moggy hotel this way. xcx

      Delete
  2. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about Felix. I know that Tiggywinkle has found herself a good home, I'm sure she'll fit in very well. Congratulations on your five year anniversary, I bet that time has whizzed past, it was our thirtieth last year and I know it has for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiggywinkle came home last night, completely out of it, but she is fine today. We have been together this time for 18 years, but you can´t rush these things can you lol xcx

      Delete
  3. Oh dear... poor Felix. Tiggly winkle will be very happy there . I love the dino jumper.... perfect. Can never have too many lemons.... they go with anything..
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona, it´s so nice to be able to zest them without worrying about what they have been coated with. It´s just a shame I can´t go any where near oranges, blossom is fine just not the fruits. xcx

      Delete
  4. Absolutely love that cardigan ...the dinosaur spines are just great...wish I could knit! Oh! my 9 cats...they have obviously been spreading the word! I would jump at the chance to have another cat but I am not allowed. We had Willie for 20 years and Sr P was really fond of him. At present he wont even hear about having another cat. I so agree with you lemons fresh from the tree are absolutely the best. Sr P's friend has lemon trees at his villa and he sometimes gives us a bag full. I know then it is the best time to make my MIL lemon and yoghurt cake when we have those lemons! :-) keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete