Monday, February 7, 2022

Stumpwork

Gosh, first week of February already gone!

The 29th was Rebecca and Antoni´s first meeting anniversary and they invited us to join them for a meal. It was an Italian restaurant, don´t think I have ever been to one before as usually I would be quite restricted with the menu with all the cheeses and creams, but with so much choice I was fine. Thoroughly enjoyable, lovely company and Theo was so good and enjoyed his meal too. 

We had some nice warm sunny days so more garden clearing, another huge pile ready for burning, at least Chris managed to clear the first one. We have strict restrictions for this on the campo so it can be a challenge to have the correct weather conditions at the same time as being permitted.

One of my needlecases was looking very forlorn, grubby and even a few rusty needles, not good. I was having a sort out and came across a little case I had made ages ago but did´nt use. Time to rectify that and I´m enjoying using it.


 It´s 4 inches square and the motif is stumpwork/needlelace. I haven´t done any stumpwork for ages, I suppose other things have come along, but it is a technique that I really enjoyed doing. It has a hard front and back and opens out like this


Why didn´t I use it before, there´s a question. I found other completed stitcheries that really just need to be made into something, I will have to see what I can do.

take care

xcx


10 comments:

  1. I do love a needlecase and your is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so pretty. I've never heard of stumpwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, stumpwork or raised embroidery is an Elizabethan technique, sometimes incorporating wires that can be used with material base or needlelace. I love its 3D effect xcx

      Delete
  3. That needlecase is lovely! Very fine work! I have never heard of stumpwork before either. It looks like raised embroidery so perhaps that is a another name for it. It certainly stands out and the colours are gorgeous. Keep well. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes it´s also called raised embroidery. My go too colours xcx

      Delete
  4. very pretty needlecase... love the embroidery
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, haven´t done embroidery for ages, this technique is great for Christmas decorations especially using wires xcx

      Delete
  5. It's nice to find those little projects that just need finishing off. Your needlecase is really lovely and deserves to be used!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, must finish off some of the other things I found xcx

      Delete