Friday, February 11, 2022

Wacky techniques

Thought I´d share another needle case I made ages ago, with 8 layers, it takes a good stash of different needles.

The technique is using felt as the base material and paper. Years ago when the weekend papers had colourful supplements, I would save the best pictures to use, they had to be printed ones, not glossy or it didn´t work.

It´s a great way to experiment with the decorative stitches on the sewing machine. Match the felt backing to the picture and gently pin together. Stitch at will (avoiding the pins) reasonably close together, then you can use it like this or gently dampen the paper and fork out bits to reveal the felt below





When dry,  paint on acrylic wax and again dry. A couple of coats keeps it supple and slightly glossy. Use the fabric for what ever you want, stitch through it, seams etc, its very pliable. 

I made book coverings, 3D hexagonal boxes, where ever your imagination takes you. It was a great way to create your own unique fabric. Ok, it´s a little faded now but still intact

About this time I was experimenting with different everyday items just for fun. Try making a sandwich with 2 layers of cling film and filings from wax crayons, protect between 2 lays of greaseproof/waxed paper (an absolute must or your iron ends up a mess) and press a relative hot iron on the paper,  the wax melts and the cling film fuses, stitch, glue, use as background for card making, endless.

  Cut little pieces of thicker carrier bags, different colours, they melt and shrivel and create amazing patterns. Again protect your iron.

I even did a stint of cutting carrier bags into strips and crochet with a large hook, must admit that one didn´t last long as it was tough on the hands.

Theo and Rebecca had a mid week sleep over this week, we had so much fun, after a long walk to collect leaves, flowers and interesting items, we were ready to glue and paint. No paint!! so I mixed flour with a little water and food colouring, hey presto paint. Drawing, play doh, puzzles, numbers and letters and so much laughter and giggles. Don´t know about Theo but I needed a nap lol

Have a lovely weekend what ever you are doing

take care

xcx

  

 

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea to create your own fabric. You are obviously a very resourceful and creative person!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was when I had needlecraft workshops running in the Uk, had to keep one step ahead lol. Used to use dissoluble fabrics too, which were great fun xcx

      Delete
  2. I tried out cutting plastic bags into strips too to crochet some place mats. Like you I found it was very rough and arduous on the hands. I have to admit I gave upand didn’t finish even the first one. I have at least used washing line cord to make baskets it was hard going but I manage it in the end. I still have one of those baskets so they are hard wearing 😊. I like your idea of making your own fabric very original. Keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking outside the box, it´s quite interesting what you can come up with. Interesting with the washing line baskets, can imagine how hard wearing they would be xcx

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of these techniques before. There's so many arts and crafts out there to be discovered. I bet Theo enjoyed his crafting session.

    ReplyDelete