Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Playing hookey

Just before Christmas, I wanted something crafty to do that was low key and I could 'just do' and get lost in its repetitive nature, something without thought, something to be picked up and put down, that could grow as fast or slowly as it wanted.
lousy photo!
   I had a random ball of multi coloured yarn for the middle and then picked up the various different colours to continue.  It has now grown to lap size but I shall keep going until I have used up the yarns.

I have always liked to cook and strive to do so from scratch using fresh produce, this was originally borne out of necessity as both myself, Daniel and Rebecca all have food allergies/intolerance and this is/was always the safer option.  I also enjoy growing and using herbs for both culinary and medicinal purposes, along with essential oils, so when Rebecca began her holistic training and was researching aromatherapy, it was right up my street.  Now, as Rebecca is very restricted in which therapies she can practice we have embarked upon a new venture together as we have both enrolled in a correspondence course for Diet and Nutrition Advisor.
It is completely elearning and can be achieved in your own space and time, (good job as its quite a few years since I have studied!)  We are really excited and looking forward to doing this together.

On a culinary note, I found this recipe for Spicy Chick peas and tried it out last night, they were really scrummy, the recipe states to store them in an air tight container, ermmmm welllll they didn't last long enough and I can see this being repeated often.  Ideal when having friends round for drinks and nibbles.

1 jar cooked chick peas
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
olive oil (for coating chick peas)
salt/pepper to taste
hot sauce of your choice  (I used madras paste)

Pre heat oven to 180/200, drain, rinse and pat dry the chickpeas.  In a bowl mix the rest of the ingredients and coat the chickpeas thoroughly.
Spread out on a parchment lined sheet and cook for 40-50 mins, stirring around every so often to get even browning.. Remove from oven cool before eating.  Store in air tight container with a little rice in the bottom to ensure they stay crispy.

Easy peasy!  change the spices for 1/2 tsp cinnomon, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp sea salt, 1 tbs honey, mix into 1/2 tbs olive oil for a sweeter version - but this time cook the chickpeas dry first then remove them, toss in the oil mixture and return to the oven for approx 10 mins. just as yummy!


If your house is anything like mine there are so many gadgets around all with their own charging leads etc that sometimes it hard to remember what belongs to what.  This idea kills two birds with one stone and recycles too.  Take a card inner from your finished paper product, fold up the lead, write the appliance on the card and you have a tidy, labelled easy to find solution.
You could always paint the card if wished, but as mine end up in a drawer anyway I didn't bother.

take care

8 comments:

  1. Your crochet is looking great and will be lovely for snuggling under. I fear that since I started getting into crochet I will always have a blanket of some sort on the go, as you say it is so soothing just to work away at something that you can just "do". The chickpeas look great and I love the way you said they can be stored, but..... Obviously a great recommendation as they must taste great. I hope that Rebecca is doing well - I don't like to keep asking, but I just wondered. Good luck with your course, I hope that it goes well and that you find it rewarding and interesting. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, it's nice doing it now as it's big enough to cover the knees and I love that I can pick it up when I want. Can recommend the chick peas, especially if the oven is on already.
      Thank you for asking, Rebecca is doing ok, very slow process and has had to report almost daily to the nurse as part of the wound is not healing very well, it's always something isn't it?!
      Having looked at the first module I think the course will be quite enjoyable.

      Delete
  2. love your crochet... your ecouse sounds interesting.... have fun learning!!! yup... I have a couple of those cord storers too!!! haha...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fiona, if nothing else it is 'bright' lol oh and the furries like it too. Glad its an 'e' course, don't think I would do very well these days with deadlines etc. A friend of mine turned her nose up at the suggestion of the cord storers, but at least I can identify what is what.

      Delete
  3. the blanket is looking great! I got bored of my great granny so it ended up quite small!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It can get a bit like that can't it, I keep the hook and yarn nearby and when I can't be bothered to concentrate very hard I do a little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How strange the Mr has a bag of wires that he was trying to work a better way to store them, so thank you for this post. What a wonderful use of all those rolls we throw away I will tell all my friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was good timing:-) hope it helps to tidy up the wires, it certainly makes identification so much easier

      Delete