Monday, June 16, 2014

Seven years

And no itch....It's hard to believe, but seven years ago we were rolling off the ferry at Santander to begin our new life in Spain. What an adventure so far.............!!!!!

This cacti is the latest to 'sprout' its flower, which means afterwards it will die.  Such a shame as this is such a nice one.  It is in the garden where all the other agarves did the same thing and we are now in the 'slow' process of revamping the whole area
We have noticed that due to the extremely dry weather, a lot of the cacti are flowering, ones that we have not seen before, teeny flowers to large extravagant ones, amazing how plants can surprise you

As you know I have continued to have my grocery shopping delivered as it has taken away another energy draining process and allows me extra for nicer things.  This also allows bitza days when I use up veggies etc instead of just adding to them, this week I had saved a fresh chicken and was going to use it for that night's dinner, still several days in date so fine.  Or not!! oh dear, you just know don't you, when you open the packaging and reel, not good.  Instead I made a pumpkin, broccoli and chick pea thai style curry.  However I was a bit miffed as the chicken cost nearly 5e, so I rang head office, discussed the problem with a very nice lady who said that they would replace the product, but, and this is the best bit!! she asked if I wanted it to be delivered that evening or the next morning!!!! considering it was already gone 6pm I couldn't believe it, now that's service.  As it was I declined and added it to my next delivery.  I was well impressed though.

They are threatening a storm here, again, but our mountain always seems to save us, now I am looking out at darkening skies, with a hint of gloom, we do need it but will we get it, shall we get the buckets out to save the water..... we shall see......................
take care xcx

9 comments:

  1. I didn't realise the cacti died after it had flowered... I suppose the plants feel that they must throw seeds now in case they die from the drought? I make a big pot of soup with my last delivery (I get fruit and veges delivered fortnightly)... I love winter soups.... glad they are replacing the chicken....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its such a shame, they are quite majestic then suddenly gone. I love soups, nice hearty ones, comfort food I suppose. They did indeed replace the chicken, slightly larger than the original, just gave the delivery man the label.,

      Delete
  2. It looks so beautiful there! The flowers must be amazing. Know what you mean about the chicken...ugh they can go off so quickly. That was great service you received though! Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some really pretty flowers here, some familiar others not, Come July and August is gets a little sparce with the heat but then everything goes for a second round in September. Was impressed by the service, so worth the delivery charge xcx

      Delete
  3. I am glad that you are seven years in and no itching!! Nature really is an amazing thing to get the cactus to flower even though it is so dry! I hope that the rain comes and that you get to store lots of water for future needs. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No rain! nothing materialised it just all blew away! back to saving washing up water for the plants lol xcx

      Delete
  4. Now that's great service, you don't often get that these days. I didn't know that cacti died after flowering, that's such a shame, especially those beautiful, huge specimens. It sounds like you're very happy with your decision to move, it certainly looks like a beautiful place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The service is very good, better than I used to get from Tesco! they were always sending items on very near dates Mind you I do need to visit the shop as they have an excellent fish counter, the guys go down to the port in Calpe every morning for the fresh catch. On the whole, yes, happy we moved, occasionally something will make you think about being in the uk, but not very often lol. Health wise with my fibro and Chris's SAD it was the right move. xcx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like it was a good decision to move to Spain. I didnt know that the agaves died off after flowering, though I knew some cacti did that. I guess we didnt get any flowers when we had them planted - none at the house we live in now. Shame about the chicken, but definitely good service to have it replaced.

    ReplyDelete