Monday, December 18, 2017

Exeter trip

I decided to go to the Uk, to visit Daniel and the girls. I was only going for a week, but was persuaded to stay for two. The weather was Cold but at least some days were dry and even saw a few blue (ish) skies.

I was able to see Leocia´s first nativity play and then join in a play afternoon with Maia at her nursery. I was definitely on Grandma duty, looking after the girls whilst parents went to work and even for them to have a rare night out with their friends.

One of the high lights was a steam train journey from Paignton, Devon to Kingswear near Dartmouth. It was so well produced with signs along the route for the children to spot and a cast of actors performing Sleeping Beauty. The characters went along the whole train in each carriage to deliver the story and on the return journey Santa arrived in our carriage with some excellent presents.  We even had mulled wine and mince pies to enjoy. 

I have visited these places before but never on the train, the scenery was lovely, especially going into Kingswear along the estuary. Brought back so many memories.

I had a day in Exeter to myself and enjoyed meandering along, collecting a few presents along the way and then enjoying a lovely vegetarian lunch at our favorite Herbies.
I was allowed a generous 23kg luggage allowance and I have to say that every bit of it was used up!

Apart from knitting a new dress for rabbit, there was no time for crafting, or sitting down much for that matter. You forget the constant demand for attention or emptying potties and the next meal, or even the swaying cuddles trying to get a fractious toddler off to sleep.

Everyone was just getting over colds when I arrived so it was little surprise I had a mild dose of one, but on my return I caught a virulent cold that has been going around all the neighbours, including Chris, absolutely awful, thumping headaches and sinuses and hacking cough to boot. It has absolutely knocked me for six, so glad I had organised most of the presents already. Taking life very easy at the moment.
I took advantage of Daniel´s Amazon prime whilst there and it certainly made pressie shopping much easier.
Before the train trip


 Exeter cathedral

 I decided to give my pressies to the girls so I could enjoy the fun of them opening them.
Here is the little elephant I made for Maia

 Love the little tail
I bought the pattern from Little Cotton Rabbits and have to say the instructions were excellent, very clear with total count down of stitches throughout. I have one for a rabbit too.
Maia was so sweet, walking round with elephant tucked under her neck giving it little kisses.
The other gifts were well received too.
  
Think I need a hot lemon and honey, catch up soon
take care
xcx

8 comments:

  1. Oh no, I hope you're feeling better in time for the big day. Your trip to the UK sounds wonderful, spending time with family and doing lots of fun things. I miss having any little ones around at this time of year with all the nativity plays and the build up of excitement. The elephant is so cute, I've been meaning to have a go at the bunny but still haven't got round to buying the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you I hope so too, poor Rebecca has a sore throat now! The look of wonder on their faces as the panto characters arrived and of course Santa, as you say their excitement is infectious. The pattern was 14 pages long and so detailed with photos and clear instructions it felt like having your hand held along the way. Rebecca wanted one as soon as she saw it lol xcx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those girls are just gorgeous.... I bet you enjoyed all that time. I would love to see more of that area one day. Aeroplane trips don't help any colds do they... hope you feel heaps better soon...
    Very cute elephant.... with a pretty dress!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona, feel a tiny bit better as the days are going on. They are growing so fast, it was certainly full on, but enjoyable. I loved the elephant as soon as I saw the pattern, just the right size for little hands to hold. Want to make the rabbit now. Xcx

      Delete
  4. Dear Chrissie
    I thought I'd say hello and return your visit to my blog. Love those elephants - I think they will be well loved!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellie, thanks for dropping by, I loved your sheep. I am making another elephant for my daughter, she wanted one as soon as she saw it. Xcx

      Delete
  5. Lovely post, so glad you enjoyed uk and the weather wasn't too bad.
    Brionoy
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, it was certainly a full on trip and two weeks disappeared very fast xcx

      Delete