Sunday, December 9, 2018

Baubles and tassels

I know everyone says the same thing, but this week really has just zipped me by.
They turned off the power on Wednesday, some for only a few hours, but we were off all day
Isn´t silly! you know the power is off and yet you still go to turn the light on or switch the kettle on
We are lucky in that we have an electric oven but a gas hob so can still cook etc. We were always getting outages and this made life easier, it´s better now, new meters etc and it has resulted in our bills reducing!
It was Spanish conversation evening in the old school house, but we were armed with battery torches, extra layers, which we didn´t need as it was quite warm still, munchies, wine, oh and our homework.
It´s usually for about 1- 1 1/2 hour, we kept checking to see if the power was on, getting slightly concerned of no power for the evening, but when the batteries started to dim we packed up. Outside I saw we had power, the trip had gone and we were sitting there in the semi darkness for nothing!

When we went over to the UK in November I took most of Rebecca´s advent pressies, there were two problems, one because the zip broke on Chris´s there wasn´t enough room in his smaller one for some of them, and also I needed to buy about 6 more.
So that was duly done, wrapped and ready.
Then I decided to make her a Christmas bauble

Looks a bit wonky in the photo but it wasn´t

Definately her colours and as one of her pressies was a length of purple tinsel they went well together, which funny enough she chose as her next gift.

I made the tassel using this little gadget
Bought it years ago and it certainly makes making them very much easier.
With three sizes to choose from you can make some really spectacular tassels



The art of making elaborate trimming or edgings including tassels is called Passementerie. In the 16th century the Guild of Passementiers was created in France with a 7 year apprenticeship before becoming a master. No wonder these creations used to show your wealth and standing in the community.
Simple or elaborate they are limitless, I used a silver glitter thread to run with the main colour, just giving it a little more interest. I didn´t decorate with beads this time but they do look really nice.

An idea that I have used over the years is to use the tassels as part of your decorations for your gifts. Personal colours or to match the current scheme, rustic ones from raffia to go with a gardening gift, or soft delicate ones for a special gift, perfume or jewellry.
If it will wrap you can use it. 
Obviously you can use the tried and trusted method of a stiff piece of card and wrap, as long as you secure both the lead in and off threads, then it´s much easier to fiddle with the top part and loop.
Have fun with it.

I also came across a lovely needle book that I purchased years ago when I loved looking in the local antique shop. The proprieter knew I collected sewing paraphernalia and used to save me odd and ends. It is probably circa 1930´s, it´s difficult to see, but the figures are pop up, very sweet




The sky is blue and the sun is lovely and warm, time to take a project up to the Naya and enjoy the rays.
take care
xcx











14 comments:

  1. Hi Chrissie interesting story about the tassel and I love the tassel that you made,it looks fantastic on the bottom of the bauble,what a lovely gift you had made,well done my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, its amazing what you can do with a circle and a bit of material, especially when it all comes out of the stash xcx

      Delete
  2. I remember having lots of power cuts when I was a child but we don't get many here at all. I do still have candles on standby though, a habit carried over from my childhood. The bauble is so pretty, I love having hand made decorations on the tree, collected over the years so there's memories behind them. I've never heard of passementerie before, interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo, it was fun making it, especially knowing all Rebecca´s ornaments are purples. I was a bit lacking in playing in the sewing department and I have made different ones in previous years for her. They are (fingers crossed) hoping to move into a 3 bedroom house next week so I thought it would be nice for a new ornament. I so agree, every year the treasures come out and once again take you along memory lane. xcx

      Delete
  3. They look like the Lucy Attwell children on the needlecase. My daughter had large cheeks when she was small and looked just like these children.
    Like the idea of the spanish classes, I learnt Spanish for 2 years at school but cannot remember much of it now, I expect it would come back if I went to classes.
    Love the fabric ornament.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, well thank you for that, I had never thought about it so just went and googled, very interesting. I learnt Spanish at school too, but it was drummed in to pass an exam and I was always in perpetual fear of being asked a question that I couldn´t answer. I could ask where is my donkey, house or bike, but otherwise!!! Trying to remember all the verbs, he she and it etc is hard, no wonder we need the wine! lol xcx

      Delete
  4. Dear Chrissie
    That bauble is lovely and the tassel looks very elegant. I remember trying to get hold of pompom makers a few years ago (there was a rush on them and they were like gold dust!). They are a lot easier than the old cardboard circles. I think the tassel makers would be a good investment too - Christmas tassel earrings, anyone?
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes I have some pom pom makers, they certainly do make life much easier. Although I saw someone making them by winding yarn around two chair legs then tying off at intervals, cutting inbetween and trimming, quite effective. xcx

      Delete
  5. Cute little book, and what a great tassel maker. I've never seen one like that. I've purchased I think now 3 different types of ball makers and still get disgusted and end up not adding balls anymore. So glad your tassel maker and you speak the same language. I don't know what an advent pressie is, but will do a google search. Enjoyed the story about being without electric.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started doing Advent pressies as an alternative to the calendars which usually contained chocolate as my two are intolerant to dairy. I would wrap 25 pressies, hiding them in a basket with shredded paper for a lucky dip. Then I made Rebecca a material calendar and it became our thing, so even though she is now 33, it is still óur thing´to do, a pressie a day leading up to Christmas. xcx














      Delete
  6. haha.... I do things like not checking if the switch has tripped... that story made me giggle. The new bauble is so pretty and I loved hearing about the tassle.decoration makers. Never thought of it being such a hard earned skill.
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad it made you smile. It is an interesting story, especially when materials and fine needles were so expensive. It makes you look differently at finishings etc in historical houses. xcx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the bauble looks lovely, and the needle book looks very nice.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, nice to have and make keepsakes xcx

      Delete