Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Make scents


In the past, Rebecca and I have enjoyed our times together making various natural skin care products, we have made, lip balms, a soothing headache one, even a luxurious body butter, adding essential oils to suit. Rebecca trained in Aromatherapy when she was studying for all her holistic therapies, it´s more complicated than you think, mixing the high, middle and lower notes of the scents to obtain the best mix.

Some are uplifting, some antibacterial, ideal for various applications around the home, some comforting and soothing, the old favourites such as Lavender, Roman Chamomile and Rosemary work quite well for sleep problems. Putting Lavender oils in a diffuser in the bedroom before bed time, leaves the room very calming, Lavender oil can also be used directly on the skin and by massaging a couple of drops in your hands first to warm it, then applying it directly to the soles of your feet, again aids sleep, with the added bonus of making the skin feel nice. Our feet are so often neglected and yet we put them through so much, so it´s a win win.

I have always been interested in using herbs, both for culinary and holistic uses, some of the old tried and tested remedies can be better than using today´s chemical laden products. 
So with this in mind I decided to make a natural deodorant, very simple, using just 3 ingredients plus an essential oil.



I mixed bicarbonate of soda with cornflour, then added coconut oil (in it´s solid state) using 7 tbsps,
the mixture was slightly ´wet´ so added some more cornflour, mixing well before adding the essential oil, in this case Lavender, although I think Rose would be nice too, what ever is your preference.

The original recipe called for arrowroot, which is so difficult to get here, so maybe that would make the consistency a little firmer.
As I didn´t have any pop up containers, I pressed it into silicon moulds and let it solidify in the fridge.
It would definitely be much easier to apply from a container, but it does work, well I haven´t had any adverse complaints so far! lol and it doesn´t leave any oil stains on clothes.
A word of warning though, don´t apply straight after shaving as it may irritate


Here is the recipe in case you wanted to try it too

6-8 tablespoons of coconut oil (solid state)
1/4 cup bicarbonate of soda
1/4 cup arrowroot or cornflour (plus a little extra in case it is too soft)
few drops of essential oil of choice
(pop up containers can be purchased on the internet for about 9.00 pounds for 10)

Next trick is to get hubby to try this anti-pong as he calls it.

I´ll leave you with two of his lovely views taken a couple of days ago



take care
xcx










8 comments:

  1. I'm sure, being natural, it will be much kinder on your skin too. Those views are beautiful, torrential rain here today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky to have various places to sit and enjoy the different views xcx

      Delete
  2. I have quite a few essential oils but am neglectful about using them. My daughter is the push for mine. I use the coconut oil in a solid state but it melts to liquid as soon as we warm up.... does your deo not melt.

    Lovely views to sit and enjoy while you smell nice …. I laughed at Chris.... our family always used 'pong' for smells
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our bathroom is quite a cool place, but I shall have to monitor it when the warmer weather comes along. Perhaps it is an Aussie or NZ thing, he does come out with some very funny words sometimes that he picked up in his 24 years in NZ xcx

      Delete
  3. Those views are so beautiful …
    Like Jo we too have had some very heavy rain today, hopefully better weather tomorrow.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are beautiful but I think sometimes we take them for granted as they are just there. xcx

      Delete
  4. Dear Chrissie
    You left a comment on my blog about the sparkly inks and reinkers. I have replied there, but it took me a while (sorry about the delay) so I thought I would comment here too:
    The ink pads and re-inkers came as a set and are from Dreamees, who are based in the UK, in Mansfield. I bought them from Create and Craft, after seeing them being used on the show. The storage caddy also came from there. (I have just checked and the ink pads and re-inkers are available on the Create and Craft website - item 467430).
    Hope this helps.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the information, very kind of you. I shall have to have a look xcx

      Delete