Monday, April 8, 2019

Tug of war

Been at it again this week, after more rain it was opportune to get out and tug up the weeds in the slightly moistened soil. Being usually dry of course all the weeds (and plants) tend to be very deep rooted so even the smallest of weeds seem to have roots that are about 9 inches long, just a game of tug of war.
This week I tackled another area that had raced away, couch grass and horrible plants that produce burrs amongst them, I had bought a new pair of gardening gloves, Ok I admit they were only a euro from the chinese bazaar, but the tops of the fingers were soon in shreds.
the before
and after

much better
Even the roses are beginning to bloom now


and the nasturtiums, loves the vibrant flowers and they are great added with their leaves to salads

I came across this little lantern, looking rather sorry for itself
it certainly needed a revamp, I wrapped the night light with a band of coloured paper to blend in with the colour theme in the courtyard

This afternoon, after 4 days of gardening I made myself admit defeat and listen to my body, enough now and sat with my knitting. I have left the lacy front to the point of decreases and carried on with the back and sleeves, they are just straight stocking stitch which gave me the opportunity to knit without the complicated pattern. Now though I am back to doing the right lacy front, so will carry on up to the decreases then I will really have to think!

How about these beautiful amaryllis
they are in a huge pot at the entrance to Maria´s

take care
xcx

6 comments:

  1. great effort with the gardening.... weeds take such advantage of any place.... we are struggling with horrible little ones with prickles in the grass...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are trying to eradicate the burr ones, even the cats hate them and pick their way gingerly over them xcx

      Delete
  2. Dear Chrissie
    The good thing about gardening is that you can see your progress. Your hard work has paid dividends - it looks lovely!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellie, have to keep looking at the small picture rather than the overall daunting one xcx

      Delete
  3. Well done in the garden, it really is looking good.
    Love those amaryllis.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, aren´t they gorgous, they have a well stocked garden and it´s usually a blaze of colour xcx

    ReplyDelete