Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Playtime

I haven´t really been in the mood for experimenting or hand stitching for ages, but I decided to have a ´play´ with some plastics and fibres.

I randomly cut some carrier bags and plastic wrappers, no thoughts on design, just to see the results


quite a thick material which could be embellished and stitched, certainly well fused
Then I cut the ends off bags, folded them and fused, really strong and could be folded and stitched making a waterproof pouch


This one is a single layer but with the plastic motifs cut out and fused

Next was some Merino tops between two sheets of cling film
the fibres were a bit too thick to fuses properly, but would take stitching
think the quality of the cling film would make a difference

This one is a mixture of plastic pieces, merino and Angelina threads again trapped between cling film

I do like the Angelina threads, so sparkly and they fuse to themselves, easy to stitch through too 


I have a needle felt machine, which takes the pain out of punching by hand, again I havent used it in ages, after randomly laying the fibres and felting I cut some flowers and embellished with beads. As this was just an experiment, the base fabric was calico but it would look better with a base of the same colour

The nice thing with felting is you can add more fibres to get the colour effect you want

This one was a bit more arty
I made a flower shape but only felted the center to give a 3d effect.

Well playtime over so it´s back to the lacy bolero, I have been putting life lines in which has saved the day several times, just the decreasing doesn´t seem to be working for me, so yet again taking it back and try again. It is not a project to attempt unless I am in the mood, too much concentration and getting a little bit frustrating!
Perseverance  I think is the word I am looking for!!

take care
xcx


8 comments:

  1. Dear Chrissie
    Playing is such a lot of fun, isn't it? (I find that often the end results are much better than when I plan something). I really like all the different textures in your 'playing'.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall have to think of something to do with them now xcx

      Delete
  2. Such a lot of fun messing around and experimenting. I didn't know there was such a thing as a needle felt machine. I've still got a needle felting kit which Mick bought for me a few Christmases ago, I really should give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes do have a go its quite theraputic and hand felting is great for making animals. xcx

      Delete
  3. Fun to play for a bit and some pretty results.... tiny little flowers so I can imagine they were quite fiddly to do...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleased that I felt like doing (sorry no pun intended!) I seem to ´do´fiddly lol xcx

      Delete
  4. I think you had fun doing this!
    I like the flowers, they look pretty.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, might be fun to attached them to a plain bag xcx

      Delete