Saturday, June 29, 2019

I´m back

Hi everyone, I´m back
What a trip and a half that was, I have gone from sitting there with a cardigan and fleece on, (it was really chilly, dull and raining) to coming home to temps in the high 20´s and today it was 30C at 10am. It´s hot in the UK too now, so take care everyone.

Luckily the weather on the day of the party was quite good and the last day of my trip I actually managed to wear a short sleeved top, getting me in training for coming home!

We took lots of photos, especially the decor, which I am pleased to say everyone loved, but they are on different devices so I will have to collate them to post.

A couple of weeks before we went we learnt that Mum had had a fall and banged her head, leaving her with rather a large bump, but she didn´t have signs of concussion and was luckily Ok.
So it was a shock to learn that other members of the family had taken it upon themselves to investigate a care home in Basingstoke. Not only that but Mum had been whisked over to view and they signed her up on the dotted line and had already started the procedure to sell her property! Talk about fait  accompli.
We had plans in place which meant we were hopping around the countryside to fulfill them, Chris was only over for 8 days so when
 we were suddenly given the task to remove any personal memorabilia, mementos etc it was panic mode. Especially as we had to find temporary storage ready to ship over to Spain.

Mum´s house is a 5 bed, 3 reception house that she has lived in for 63 years and she is a self confessed hoarder. It was absolutely bedlam, everything was crammed in and we had to declutter a bit first then find all the treasures.  Old Edwardian and 1920´s family photos stuffed in shoe boxes, Victorian items from Mum´s grandparents, including a mug from 1897 Victoria´s diamond jubilee, WW1 artifacts from her parents and many sets she has collected over the years.

We at least persuaded the others to organise auctioneers to come and value the items rather than their preferred method of house clearance. Most of the clearance companies wanted between 4 and 5000 and they kept the goodies! outrageous!

Anyway I´m sure you have the gist of the proceedings, so the whole trip was tainted by this sudden revelation with ´family meetings´, lots of stress and upset and that poor Mum will be living in one room, leaving most of her treasures and memories behind as the place is too small.
All this in 3 weeks, including viewings which resulted in accepting the first offer! Perhaps they don´t want Mum to change her mind!

However, we had a lovely day sharing Rebecca´s birthday with Antoni and we took the train to London, had a very nice meal (omg! the prices though) then went along to the Prince Edward theatre to see the musical Alladin. It was a brilliant show. To save money on taxis we walked from there afterwards to Paddington, it was a long way but we did save over 40.00 and passed landmarks for photo opportunities. 
So lovely to create memories and enjoy each others company. I used to take the kids to the theatre in Barnstaple which is where Rebecca got her love for going.

We also found our train fares covered the cost of the underground, so with much trepidation I agreed to go on it, I hate, long tunnels, caves etc so this was quite a feat, of course we then had to do the same in reverse which was not so pleasant, probably because I was tired, but I did it, although I think I shall quickly gloss over that bit

Well I really need to find the various photos so will go now, enjoy the good weather and weekend. Catch up soon
take care
xcx 





11 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip and that the party went well but how sad to be faced with clearing out the house. It's so sad when our parents age, especially when they have to leave their homes, it's like clearing their life away. I hope she'll be happy, and safer, in her new home. Looking forward to hearing all about the party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit of a shock to say the least and to us a bit of a knee jerk reaction from the others. I think Mum is finding it difficult to adjust, bit like going on holiday and wanting to go home. xcx

      Delete
  2. That must have been a shock for you and your Mum. A bit of communication never goes amiss in a situation like this. I hope she will be looked after well in the new home. I'm glad you had some good experiences while you were in the UK too.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm cooperation seems to be the missing key word but thats families for you. At least it was being done with Mum still with us xcx

      Delete
  3. nice article.
    thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like a really busy time but great to be with family too. I hope your mum settles well its really hard to adjust when it happens so suddenly....
    take care... Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately what the glossy brochure portrays is not necessarily quite accurate. Time will tell xcx

      Delete
  5. Welcome back, pleased that you enjoyed your trip … although sorry to hear about the ups and downs with your Mums downsizing and moving into a home. This is never easy, but I send my positive thoughts and good wishes, and I hope she settles well and will be happy.

    Take care

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, it was ´sold´to us with, ´no significant change in her lifestyle´ still waiting on that one. Being so far away is difficult too xcx

      Delete
  6. Hi,i just want to share my experience with everyone. I have being hearing about this blank ATM card for a while and i never really paid any interest to it because of my doubts. Until one day i discovered a hacking guy called MR ANTHONY. he is really good at what he is doing. Back to the point, I inquired about The Blank ATM Card. If it works or even Exist. They told me Yes and that its a card programmed for only money withdraws without being noticed and can also be used for free online purchases of any kind. This was shocking and i still had my doubts. Then i gave it a try and asked for the card and agreed to their terms and conditions.. Four days later I received my card and tried with the closest ATM machine close to me, to my greatest surprise It worked like magic. I was able to withdraw up to $3000 daily. ATM has really change my life. If you want to contact them, Here is the email address anthonbradley646@gmail.com


    ReplyDelete

  7. I'm here to testify about Mr John Blank ATM Cards which can withdraw money from any ATM machines around the world.. firstly I thought it was scam until I saw so many testimony about how Mr John sent them the ATM blank card and how it was used to withdraw money in any ATM machine and become rich so I decided to risk the opportunity I contacted him also and I applied for the Blank Card to my greatest surprise I have used it to get 10,000 dollars. maximum withdrawal daily $1,000, Mr John is giving out the card just to help the poor. Hack and take money directly from any ATM Machine Vault,If your interested kindly contact him directly on his email (johnlopez1945@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete