Friday, November 1, 2019

Foodies

November already!
Today is All Saints Day and is a red day here, so in general everything is closed

We like this time of the year, the temps are still around 24ish during the day so it is just right to catch up on some jobs around the place, especially outside. The flowers get their second wind so its quite colourful again.

We had our water delivery on Wednesday, at least we hadn´t run out this time, they are not so busy this time of year as they are not filling up the pools.

Our neighbour generously gave us a bag of garlic bulbs and although some of them had been visited and chomped by bugs, I still managed to get quite a bowl full

We get through quite a lot of garlic so it was very welcome

We do like our roasted veggies, this time I made a cauliflower and broccoli cheese bake which was a nice change and rather yummy too

 I also made egg muffins, onions, garlic, red pepper and mushrooms and as I had some bacon lardons to use up, I popped those in too.
3 eggs made 6 muffins, 15 minutes at 180 so quite quick really.


It´s always difficult to decide what to do for lunches, keeping away from bread and so its usually a salad. Sometimes as a treat I buy a salad mix with pinapple, crab, egg etc in a rose marie kind of sauce, but this week after having it twice I have ended up with a thumper of a headache each time.
 I always check ingredients for lactose etc so couldn´t understand why this happened.
Until Chris read through the list using a google translator on his phone.
We found orange juice listed, What! My worst arch enemy
 who would have thought they would put that in a salad mix

What do you favour for lunches?

I usually make things from scratch. just so that I know what is in it using alternative ingredients and can make a calculated risk if I want, much safer as the 10% rule means you could get something you hadn´t bargained for. One example is flavoured crisps, they spray with milk powder so the flavour sticks, only now do they include that in the listing.

So thats one treat out of the window, back to homemade coleslaw.
lesson to self, just because you have had it before, recheck ingredients in case they have changed them!

Better go as I am trying to finish a play mat to take with me, and the blanket, oh and a little cardi and...........lol

Have a lovely weekend
take care
xcx



10 comments:

  1. Wow, that cauliflower and broccoli cheese bake looks delicious. I usually just have a sandwich usually for lunch, boring I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was rather yummy, just the effort to make it instead of just steamed veg. Sometimes I do miss the wheat, a nice sandwich is so easy to do. xcx

      Delete
  2. Dear Chrissie
    I agree with Jo, that bake looks yummy. I like baked beans on toast for lunch (no use to you if you are not eating bread) or jacket potato, beans and a little bit of lighter cheddar. In summer, it is crustless quiche and salad, or couscous and salad, or pasta salad (hmm, not a lot of variety there!!)
    Food labelling can be good, but as you say, sometimes they change the recipe and something you used to be able to eat, now you can't. As a vegetarian, I also have to check the labels too.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, probably added to the calories, but nice for a change. It´s a challenge to read the ingredients here sometimes, being in Spanish and easy to miss something, the more that are listed the more worried I get! Over the years it has been easier to get different foods, the supermarket has expanded its range and we can get wheat free pasta and even quinoa. xcx

      Delete
  3. Your broccoli and cauliflower bake looks amazing, I haven't made that for a long time. I confess I am a meal planner and plan our lunches too, we have soup twice a week, roast veggies with dips, eggs/sausages/mushrooms, a salad, dahl and Shakshouka each week. The variety comes from whatever veg is in season as I make everything from scratch. We tend to have cheese/hummus and biscuits or savoury flapjacks with the soup. We don't eat any bread here. When you start reading the labels you will be amazed at what they put in some food, I couldn't eat anything with sulphites in it for a while, it is a preservative which I found they were putting in vinegar!

    Hope you get all your lovely crafting done, have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must admit I hadn´t heard of Shakshouka, so looked it up, that sounds really lovely. I like to use whatever is in season too and here they don´t care what shape or size the veggies are, which considering you mostly chop or slice them it doesn´t matter to me either. Why would they put sulphites in vinegar, I´m sure many people just don´t realise what they put in some of the food products. We have to be careful of some of the wines here as they tend to put those in them. Much safer to cook from scratch. xcx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chrissie oh no ,glad you worked out why you got those bad headaches.
    I am always struggling to find different foods for lunch too,seems I always end up with sandwiches or rolls and I need to stay away from bread too,it's not helping with losing weight lol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding alternatives to bread is quite hard especially as it usually means more effort and rice cakes are a bit of a last resort lol xcx

      Delete
  6. Hi Chrissie your cauliflower Bake looks fantastic,it's great that you found out what was causing your headaches.
    I always end up having sandwiches or salad roll for lunch ,I need to get away from the carbs.
    It's great you got some garlic bulbs,hope you also have a lovely day xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cauliflower and broccoli cheese bake looks and sounds delicious, a big favourite in our house.
    Salads can be nice for lunch, or even a soup!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete