Monday, May 7, 2018

From a challenge to pickleitis


On Friday we decided to use my pass for us both to go to the spa.
To start we had it to ourselves but gradually others arrived but it was still not that busy.
We stayed for about 80 minutes then went up to the bar for a coffee and a sit down.
Its amazing how it wipes you out, must be the detox from the salts in the water.
I decided to take up a challenge
Having seen all the lovely sock yarns people have spoken about
I checked out Winwick Mum blog where Christine has very kindly put up patterns and loads of tutorials for making socks.
Not having the correct size needles for using 4 ply I chose to use DK, thinking it might just help in learning the technique.
All I had were DPN´s not a circular needle. Well I did have a 30cm one of the right size but this was way to long and couldnt reach the stitches. So it has dawned on me that I was measuring the length of the cord when perhaps I should have been measuring tip of needle to the other tip??!!

The way I knit is using long needles with one tucked under one arm, obviously not usable with DPN´s. So not only was I fiddling around with four needles, I was having to learn to knit in a very different way.
I struggled to start then seemed to find my own way, got through the rib and onto the leg.
Feeling quite chuffed at this point, I tackled the heel flap.
Well the knitting was ok, but I was only using two needles, the flap was coming along
then the gussett
now I was completely in a pickle, I read and re-read the instructions then gave up as I was tired.
I tried again the next day, nope! no good, so it all came out, back to the start of the heel flap.
Now it is waiting for another day when I am fresher and I think I will have to sit in front of the computer and do it photo by photo.
I really don´t want to give in, but its a bit frustrating, perhaps this is why I never tried before.
Felix was trying to help by jumping for the yarn, then just getting in the way

I think the shape is right, shame about the rest lol
The pattern said to knit after the rib, but it came out inside out, don´t know if that´s right either
Take care
xcx




10 comments:

  1. Your sock looks fab, and you will get the hang of this! It's inside out at the moment but all you have to do is put your hand in and pull it the right way out - I know that sounds too easy but it's a really common thing to happen with first socks :) You'll find it easier to use more needles when you come to pick up the gusset stitches - you can always rearrange them later, and there's a trick to using shorter needles when you're using to tucking them under your arm too: if you put any needle under your arm, your brain thinks that you are knitting in the usual way and you'll be able to knit as you normally do, no matter what needles you are using in your hands. Magic, eh? Stick to those socks, I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for dropping by. Does seem the sensible thing to do turn it the right way lol. What a clever trick thank you, operseverence must be the key xcx

      Delete
  2. The spa sounds really relaxing, you'll need another session when you've finished your socks, lol. You're doing so well and they look fine to me. My first pair came out inside out too, just pull the knitting through the needles and then carry on as you have been doing, your knitting will come out the right way round then. Don't give up, you're doing brilliantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may be right there! I have unpicked it back to start the heel again, just been a bit busy. Someone suggested a lifeline, so I looked it up, what a great idea so much quicker than unicking each stitch xcx

      Delete
  3. Oh well done you... I have always promised myself to learn to knit socks..... to me the height of comfort is hand knitted socks....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was finally tempted by the lovely yarns spotted on peoples blogs, I need to get the right needles though so I think an Amazon browse is in order xcx

      Delete
  4. Understand the frustration, I probably would have purchased the other sized needles, but then the thicker yarn is easier to see and work with. Socks...still on my list of things to try. Been on that list for a long time.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, thanks for visiting, I didn´t think my knitting skills were good enough for tricky socks, nothing ventured.... xcx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Popping back in as I make my blog rounds. Hope you have a good day and continue to make progress on your socks...or perhaps you're working on something else at the moment.
    Sandys Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, no still trying the sock, and finding it very trying indeed!! lol xcx

      Delete