Sunday, May 20, 2018

Pig´s ears

Now I have nothing against piggies, their ears or any other part of them and I know they like to find a nice patch of mud to roll around in to keep cool amongst other things, getting themselves into a complete and utter mess......
To make a pig´s ear is a mid 20th century phrase and means ´completely botch something up, to make a complete mess of it.....
This was first found in print in a 1950 edition of the Readers Digest.
An old proverb dating back to the 16th century says, you can´t make a silk purse out of a sow´s ear.
The English clergyman Stephen Gosson published a romantic story in 1579 and in it referred to people who were engaged in a hopeless task, alluding to what might be the result if someone did try to make something from a sow´s ear, not a silk purse but a complete mess.....

Where am I going with this?
This!!!!

Certainly doesn´t look right
My self challenge of knitting socks.............
I knitted the heel flap, undid it again, learnt about a life line, put in a length of thread through the stitches so if you have to pull back you don´t loose your stitches.

When I was knitting it, it came out inside out, ok turn it the other way, but I decided to carry on, then suddenly even though I was knitting as before, the other side appeared, then just as before it suddenly went back to the other way......odd or what
Even though I pulled the stitches tight when changing needles I still got a ladder grrr
So
I think I will order a short circular one from Amazon rather than 4 needles and see if that makes it any better, before I bow down gracefully.

Not all was a pig´s ear though
I crochet these pot holders/hot mats for Rebecca as I saw hers were rather well loved!
I thought she would like a little parcel so posted it off, unbelievably it took 13 days to reach her, but she was very appreciative.
They are all the same size (two just folded)
Not her usual colours but useful none the less

Off to find something else to do rather than a sock!!
Enjoy the weekend
take care
xcx














6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're not giving up. I think it can take a bit of time to get used to sock knitting but eventually it all just clicks. I think the problem with ladders is something that gets ironed out over time, though a circular needle may help, I must admit that I did try one myself but I much prefer double pointed needles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whilst waiting for the new needle I might try taking it back to the life line, turn it the right way and start the gusset again. I´m not even sure the decreasing on the gusset is right, hey ho xcx

      Delete
  2. Oh well done... I bet the sock will still be warm! Perhaps I will stick to quilting for now... haha...
    Lovely pot holders for Rebecca - always need them
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must admit I did do some more of the hexie cot quilt as something different that worked! Haven´t ordered any yarn for a long time, but will definately get some more bamboo/cotton as the pot holders are so useful xcx

      Delete
  3. Glad you got your crochet cloths, helps balance the frustration when working on something that isn't working out the way it should or the way you want it to. Good luck with the socks. Interest tid bit about the pigs ears...never knew that.
    Sandy's Space

    Looking forward to your visit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I does seemingly knock you when something just doesnt go right, but I suppose thats how we learn. I am not an experienced knitter but nothing ventured! I love finding out where some of our sayings come from, we use them handed down but never really know why xcx

      Delete