Wednesday, October 10, 2018

A little baking

Got into a bit of a rut with meals so decided to make a bit of an effort
We are waiting for our supermarket delivery this afternoon so the fridge was rather low on goodies
but with a courgette, carrot, and a little cauliflower grated, mixed with a finely chopped 1/2 onion and some red pepper with an egg and seasoning, I made some veggie muffins, the only other ingredient I added was some grated semi cured goats cheese.
180 and 20 minutes later, these appeared


 served with some beans, a simple but filling lunch and Chris came back for seconds.
I also had some stale crusts left. I usually make breadcrumbs, but quite why I don´t know, a thought popped into my head of making bread pudding.
I haven´t made this for years, but as a kid, my Mum always served it with golden syrup or custard.
She also used to make bread and butter pudding, but I wasn´t so keen on that.
We are not really dessert people preferring a natural yogurt or fruit, but the spicy aromas wafting around prompted Chris to investigate which produced a huge smile and a ýummy
It´s a good job I took a photo when I did as there isn´t that much left
someone kept popping back for more!

I thought the muffin mix was tasty and made some more but this time adding red cabbage very finely sliced. The idea being when you want just a little something to get you by whilst waiting for a meal this sort of coleslaw would work. Didn´t add the cheese or any dressing though, thought that was better added at the time.

Finished the green/silver necklace during cooking time, so now have 3 necklaces and 1 bracelet to add to the board

Need to do my spanish homework for this evening, so
hasta luego
take care
xcx



10 comments:

  1. I'm the same, I tend to get in a rut with food and then it puts me off cooking and I get fed up of eating what I've made. They both look lovely. I've never tried either bread pudding or bread and butter pudding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all fall back on favourites just for ease and have the just can´t be asked feeling. Bread pudding is a great way of using up stale bread and after soaking the bread it takes just minutes to make. Mum used to make extra yorkshire puddings to have as dessert with golden syrup, haven´t made those in years either lol xcx

      Delete
  2. I heard or read somewhere that most people have only up to seven main meals they cook (and repeat). It's always nice to discover a new recipe that works (or remember an old one which hasn't been made in a while).
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a little black book in the kitchen that I tend to jot down ideas, spice mixes etc as it is so easy to forget what you made differently xcx

      Delete
  3. you are very inventive with your food.... makes me hungry just looking at it all...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that stems from the allergies/intolerences having to find a way of replicating recipies using alternative ingredients. I had one of the little muffins cold and it was just as tasty, xcx

      Delete
  4. Oooo yes, those veggie muffins do sound good.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes please - to both dishes. I don't often eat puddings, but a bread pudding would weaken my resolve, I would probably be back for seconds, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No to beans please for me. But, your muffins sound really good and healthy!! Now's a good time to turn on the oven since it's so wet and cold out.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete