Monday, February 3, 2020

Play time


 Whilst in Reading I treated ourselves to a new little gadget
I thought it would be right up Chris´s street with regard to making our miniatures

So I bought this

It´s a 3D pen, a bit like a cross between a glue gun and soldering iron, so you introduce the filament and draw with it, whether free hand or using a pre printed/hand drawn template.

I had a little play myself , it takes a bit of getting used to, like every new technique, but I´m left handed and of course all the buttons were on the right, I´ll get used to it, but then events took over and it was left to explore at home.

Antoni is a whizz in the computing department, writing all sorts of code for different applications, have to admit, a lot of it goes straight over my head, but when I purchased my new tablet, he just transferred all the relevant data within minutes for which I was very grateful

He also has a 3D printer, yes I know I went off on a tangent, but I´m there now!
He writes the code to produce all manner of items, some decorative but mostly useful, 
For example, one bracket of the wardrobe hanging pole broke off so he printed out a replacement, storing batteries can be a pain, so he produced a bespoke holder for them, special hooks to clip over a shelf to hold a lamp, napkin holders in the shape of a cat, he even made a beautiful specimen vase to hold a rose for Rose´s special shelf.
The uses are endless.
So, he showed me various You tube clips, amazing, you are only limited by your imagination  

The main thing that persuaded me to go for it was that although it only came with a small selection of filament in 4 colours, and by the time you had introduced it into the pen it was used up, but Antoni buys the filament by the reel.
So he produced reel after reel of every colour you could think of, then he gave me wood effect
ding!! brilliant for sculpting trees 
So there I sat winding all these colours onto the spool, bearing in mind the weight for my hand luggage
So, silver, gold, fluorescent, blue, red, purple, wood.......etc......
As I hadn´t bought anything else, except Earl grey tea bags I thought it would be ok.
With a little jiggery pokery it all went in, under weight!

These are the result of Chris´s first attempt at using it, not bad for a start

 I always have assistance at the airport and my case duly disappeared for checking, my assistant came back very apologetic saying my case had been taken for extra screening. With my mind blank apart from please dont take my knitting needles, even though they were bamboo, we went over to the security desk.
A very jolly man lent over and said we seem to have something that resembles a large sewing machine  part, Ah ha, I explained that it was a reel of filament for the new 3D pen I had purchased
Thinking, please don´t take everything out as it was like a jigsaw puzzle getting it all in.
He smiled and told me to have fun with it and handed over my case without even unzipping it
Phew!!

So now it´s play time
take care
xcx

5 comments:

  1. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with that. Chris's first attempts are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly opens up a new world for crafting. Another butterfly and dragonfly made, think we shall end up with a flutter of butterflies at this rate lol xcx

      Delete
  2. Chris is finishing off the Manor house roof that has a circular window, think this might be a way forward to make a stained glass panel for it. We can only but try! xcx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot get my head round 3D printers, like a lot of things like that they are totally beyond my comprehension. I have not heard of 3D pens but they sound like they are great fun, thank goodness all the bits made it home without you having to unpack your suitcase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The silly thing was I didn´t even think about being checked as it was all plastic. It´s facinating to see all the things Antoni creates, but I certainly couldn´t get my head around all the necessary code. xcx

      Delete