Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Thunder and lightening

We have just had a huge storm, hail, thunder, lightening and torrential rain, but now its all gone, the sun is shining and we have power back. We shall have to wait for everything to dry before clearing up, tree debris, our gravel drive half way into the plaza, soil washed into strange places, oh well it watered the garden!



The other day Rebecca helped me to sort out one of our garages, you know the scenario, boxes still packed with things, not sure what to do with others and then turning a blind eye. This was also where I had stored some of my Dad´s Tiffany style glassware he had made, as I didn't have enough room in the house. Anyway after various comments mostly, why did we keep this? we made excellent progress and cleared loads.
Amongst the ´finds´ was this
Does anyone else remember this, or even had one, I loved doing this as a kid. The box was complete, even the pens were in the box, ok totally unusable, but still. 
Be nice in a few years time to play with the girls and say this was Grandma´s toy.

The other totally awesome find was a cassette tape with my Mother reading the story she wrote for my son, some 33 odd years ago. Chris, very carefully, sorted it out to be able to play, you remember, the pencil in the hole trick etc! it worked!
I haven't plucked up courage to listen yet, probably need a box of tissues at the ready, but what a lovely legacy to be able to produce copies using modern techniques, reprint her written words and let her great grand children hear her story.

I encouraged my grandparents to record some of their lifetime stories and so now have both a lovely family history and a social one too. Do encourage your older family members to record/write some of their stories too, once they are gone, they´re gone.
Only thing is Rebecca too is now asking me to do the same, her excuse is she can´t remember the stories, opps time flies!

take care
xcx



8 comments:

  1. I have a recording of our Grandson Tom reciting nursery rhymes, of course some of them are all wrong making it more charming. It brings back such lovely memories.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble is technology moves on so quickly we are left without means to access some of them xcx

      Delete
  2. Forgot to mention that I was water logged through drinking so much trying to shift this UTI but in the end had to reluctantly go to the Doc,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear tricky getting the balance, here you can get cranberry capsules from the pharmacy which they promote for this. Xcx

      Delete
  3. So many lovely things in this post. I remember Spirograph, we had one in the family, it was my sister's, she was twelve years older than me so I got to play with it as I got older. I wonder what happened to it. Oh, how wonderful finding that cassette tape with your mum reading a story to your son, how I'd love to have old tapes like that. I remember we all used to record ourselves, or record the top forty on a Sunday night straight from the radio, trying to cut out the DJ's voice in between records. I don't think any of our tapes have survived. I loved the video of your lovely cat, I had to chuckle at him shaking the rain off his paws, I remember our cat doing that, so comical. What a storm though, so much rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I remember doing that too, recording the songs from the radio and realising the DJ´s were deliberately talking over the last few lines to stop you. Monster really doesn´t like getting his paws wet, as you say so funny to watch xcx

      Delete
  4. that's quite a storm. lovely to have the rain = we have had some too but not so dramatic as yours. lovely to have the memories, I am sad I never got stories from my parents etc...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It came upon us really quickly, did its worst then blew away. Nice bright sunny skies and mid twenties since xcx

      Delete