Thursday, August 22, 2019

Unappreciated gift

Cats are renowned for showing us their love by bringing us presents.
With 10 furries we do get our fair share at times.

When I was hosting the needlework retreats at the farm we only had the one cat, but she never lost the opportunity to be part of the picture.
One lunch time as we were all around the table chatting away,  she strolled in with a live baby rabbit, holding it by the scruff. After strutting around for awhile she then let it go.
We had to stop everything to round it up and return it to the fields whilst she just sat preening herself with a satisfied grin on her face.
When ever MIL visited she would always present her with a mouse, MIL hates mice at the best of times and would be on the lookout for one of her ´pressies´
Occasionally she would bring a bird but funny enough she would never touch the hens or chicks or even the ducklings, she always gave them a wide berth, head and tail up in the air showing no interest.

Of course here there is a wide range for them to try to play with or catch as we live in the campo, including crickets, mice, voles, tree rats, lizards etc.
Monster surpassed himself the other evening, luckily I had already gone to bed, when he trotted into the lounge, proud as punch,  with this dangling from his mouth

It was about two and a half feet long, a bit skinny, but never the less, still a snake.
Not sure if it was poisonious, but he had killed it luckily 
Thank goodness Chris was still up, couldn´t bear to think what would have happened if he had brought his present to the bedroom.

A few years ago Amber had brought a very live and angry one in to the craft room, but she soon decided that her new playmate was not very happy when it kept rearing and spitting at her. So she dropped it, turned tail and headed outside, leaving us with the task of trying to locate its where abouts amongst all the drawers and craft materials.
We did find it, but had to clear the room to do so, we put it in a large plastic box to dispose of it.
I do not like snakes, never have, so whilst I would be able to deal with most other things I would certainly have turned tail and ran.

Thank you for your gift Monster, but next time don´t bother.......

Chris has continued to revamp some of the old family photos, painstakingly repairing and researching colours of buildings etc.
This is his latest one


Certainly brings it to life

Better be off as I have something new on the needles that I am trying......
take care
xcx

10 comments:

  1. Hi Chrissie,omg I would've freaked out with the snake ,glad monster had killed it ,I shudder to think of it slithering around in your home.
    Sounds like monster is a good hunter and I don't blame you for not wanting his gifts that he brings in for you,lol,hope your day is a good one my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris put it out the back to dispose of the next morning, but it had gone! We can only think one of them decided it was safe to play with and waltzed off with it xcx

      Delete
  2. Dear Chrissie
    I do wish cats wouldn't bring us presents - and expect us to be grateful! Yikes, a snake - that would have sent me running. The photo looks really good (although I do like a black and white photo).
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes especially if they are half chewed yuk! I think the photos run along with the marmite theory! xcx

      Delete
  3. Eeek, what a lovely gift, not! We used to have a cat but he never brought anything home. We had to take him to the vet once and she asked if he was a hunter, I replied that I didn't think so. She felt his stomach and told us he most certainly was! He was also obviously very greedy and didn't want to share his catch! The photo is fabulous, what a difference some colour makes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope he doesn´t make it a habit or teaches the others. We try very hard to save the lizards when they bring them in. I can picture your cat having a quiet, sneaky chomp then coming home for his dinner. Amazing technology today to be able to do all these things xcx

      Delete
  4. ooooooh….. not a very nice present at all! I don't like snakes but spiders are worse.... Chris is doing a great job with the photo's....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the spiders, some of ours certainly have the tone of don´t mess with me. I think he has a few more lined up to do xcx

      Delete
  5. I've never had a cat … but it's a definite EEK from me on the snake!

    Chris certainly is doing a very good job with the photographs ... it's quite a task.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. All ours have their own personalities but share the one thing about cats, leave a message and we will get back to you lol. Chris is enjoying the challenge, I think the last one had over 20 colour changes in it xcx

    ReplyDelete