Friday, December 6, 2019

Over too soon

The days just whizzed by (as usual) but we did launder all the baby things and they are now away all ready. 
I didn´t manage to make the brushed cotton burp cloths but can do that next time, although I crochet some more and of course had to finish sewing the binding of the quilt. It was all pinned and I was concerned security might take the pins away but they didn´t query it or the bamboo knitting needles holding a baby blanket, but unfortunately one broke in the case, another item to finish off.


Black Friday seemed to happen all week so on one of my excursions into town I bought a few new tops, including a couple of jumpers all with varying discounts between 10 and 30%, then on Thursday we visited John Lewis to take advantage of the 20% off baby items.
Joyce (MiL) gifted them the money to get a next to me crib and sheets, so that was on the list along with other essentials. Rebecca gets a further 25% off by using her store discount card so we got some really good bargains.

Although Mothercare is closing they were not offering very good discounts, maybe nearer the end but they still seemed expensive.
The pre-loved market is strong around their area and they have got quite a few items of new or nearly new, a great help at such an expensive time

I bought Rebecca a dress as she has a couple of ´do´s´to go to, but I changed the button feature from gold to crystal, more her taste, so with accessories it will be really nice.

Rebecca was scheduled to go on maternity leave on the 20th December, which I thought was way to late, in my opinion she needed to rest, relax and think of herself during the last few weeks.
Little bubba had other ideas and he is quite low, making walking etc difficult, plus the fact that her company within JL store refused to allow her to sit whilst on the shop floor, insisting that she spread her breaks out and go to the rest room. The fact that it is up on another floor and they are not permitted to use the escalators or lifts just the stairs meant that most of the break time was taking getting to and fro. Absolutely ridiculous and very short sighted, so Rebecca explained it all to the doctor who immediately signed her off, so as from the 1st she has been able to take things easy and not soldier on like she was doing.
Bless, she was rather reluctant to do so, but once the decision was made she realised just how much she had been pushing herself and was relieved to just ´be´at home.
I strongly supported her in this as her and bubba´s health come first, especially when the employer treated her so shoddily.

Wednesday was my last day and Rebecca had a scan followed by a consultant appointment in the morning.
Absolutely wonderful to see bubba, he was really wriggling around and wouldn´t be still to take the measurements, which took several attempts. He was even really cheeky and gave us a full flash, no mistaking he is a boy then!
The consultant was running an hour late but he didn´t rush and made sure Rebecca was happy in the care, full explanations and any concerns dealt with.
Another scan on the 18th, they have decided that they will not let her go much beyond 38 weeks so  will he arrive this year or next?

My train was due to depart at 1.30, we were so long at the hospital and the traffic was really heavy that we only managed a quick goodbye and hugs before I had to go, I made it, with 3 minutes spare, squeaky or what! Just had to hang around for a while at the airport for my 5.45 flight.

My flight is booked for the 27th, unless something happens so I´m on standby mode
I intend to wrap pressies so everything is ready, including for Chris´s birthday
It´s all go!
take care
xcx




9 comments:

  1. Oh, it's so exciting for you all, and at an exciting time of year too. He might just be a New Year's baby. How awful for Rebecca's employer to treat pregnant women in this way, you'd think that in this day and age they'd understand the needs of women about to give birth more. She'll be able to take things easy now and rest, it'll put your mind at rest at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left strict instructions before I left, not to come before I get back there lol. I was appalled at her treatment, each company have their own policies and most of the others allowed sitting, just not hers xcx

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear that Rebecca managed to get a doctor to sign her off, I cannot believe how shoddily she has been treated perhaps her bosses/those that make the decisions have not been pregnant themselves, I hope that won't effect her pay. I expect it will put your mind at rest too. An exciting time for you all which I hope goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly put my mind at rest. We are not sure at the moment if it means maternity pay kicks in immediately or what, another thing to think about xcx

      Delete
  3. I think it was good that Rebecca has been signed off, she must take things a little slower in the later weeks and rest too …
    It certainly is an exciting time … and I'm just wondering if you may be on the plane before the 27th!!!
    Time will tell.

    Take care, my good wishes to all.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my thoughts exactly, I have looked at flights, but I need to get a train connection too. Fingers crossed he is not in a hurry! xcx

      Delete
  4. very exciting and great you had that time to spend together.... it is a shame when these big businesses still take the money value as more important than staff... when will they learn????
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, it seems daft to me, when I was running my business I always had the policy look after your staff and they will return the favour. Even for the Dad´s I used to let them come in late when it was a childs assembly or play etc, otherwise they used to miss out xcx

      Delete
  5. Hi Chrissie its good now that your daughter can rest for a bit ,how exciting not long to go now,hope you have a lovely day my friend xx

    ReplyDelete